If you were arrested for reckless driving and don’t think you were guilty, maybe because the law enforcement officer refused to show you the radar gun or tell you why they gave you the ticket, you can try and get the charges dismissed. But the question is, how can you get a reckless driving ticket dismissed?
Even if the police officer has sufficient evidence of your reckless driving, the judge may reduce the charge to improper driving.
Whether you believe you’re guilty or not, a reckless driving ticket is a serious offense with severe consequences including jail time and a license suspension so you need a strong defense.
You need an experienced traffic ticket lawyer who knows the different defense tactics and which will best apply to your situation. Our Virginia traffic ticket attorney at Keefer Law Firm has the education and familiarity with the law needed for a solid defense.
What are the defenses for reckless driving and speeding tickets in VA?
There are several ways that your attorney can fight a ticket for you. The key to defense lies in determining the best avenue for your attorney to take based on the circumstances of your ticket and the court’s policies. Although the circumstances and specifics of speeding tickets and reckless driving tickets may differ, the defenses are often similar.
If you are issued a speeding or reckless driving ticket, your defense may include:
- Driving: Although it might sound obvious, you cannot be convicted for reckless driving if the police officer isn’t certain you were the reckless driver. If you were a passenger, you could avoid a conviction by proving you were a passenger. Also, if the police officer gave you a reckless driving ticket when another driver was at-fault, you can pursue that angle. This strategy could work when another driver sped past a red light, and you were blamed for the accident.
- Radar and LIDAR calibrations: In reckless driving by speed and speeding tickets, law enforcement must provide proof of up-to-date radar and LIDAR calibrations. The machine must be proven accurate on the day of the ticket. It’s your right to request this proof, and your attorney can request the calibration certificate, which should be no more than 6 months old. If the machines aren’t properly calibrated or there is a chance of error, the case might be dismissed.
- Your speedometer’s calibrations: You can test your speedometer for accuracy using a standalone GPS system in your vehicle and a calibration report. If your speedometer inaccurately displayed your speed, you may be able to use this as a defense.
- Speed limit: Your attorney may check that the officer knew the speed limit for the area where the ticket was issued and any nearby speed limit discrepancies that may have confused the situation.
- Location: If an incident occurs at the border of two counties, it can be questionable where the event occurred, or an officer’s testimony may have a discrepancy in location that can cause a case to be dismissed.
Regardless of the defense chosen, you need the expertise and knowledge that a qualified Woodstock reckless driving lawyer from our team possesses. Your driving privileges may be at stake, so don’t try to fight your ticket alone.
Ways to handle a reckless driving ticket
- Ignore the ticket – You do have the option to ignore the reckless driving ticket; however, we strongly advise against ignoring it. In addition to being found guilty, you will be fined. If you don’t pay the fine, the DMV can suspend your license indefinitely until the fine is paid.
- Send a letter – Some people who cannot attend court may send a letter to the judge. The advantage of sending a letter is that you wouldn’t show up to court, and you’ll still be able to explain to the judge to defend your case. However, of course, having in-person substitution is much more effective since you can respond to questions from the officer and Prosecutor. Also, the judge may be upset that you didn’t show up and give you a higher penalty.
- Appear in court by yourself – When appearing for yourself, you don’t have to pay attorney’s fees. The problem with appearing yourself is that you likely won’t know the ins and outs of the legal process to help you get out of a reckless driving ticket. For example, you could negotiate to go to community service or driving school instead of receiving the reckless driving charge or having a more lenient penalty.
- Hire an experienced attorney – Instead of hoping the judge will go easy on you, we suggest getting a reckless driving attorney to give you the best chance to win. An experienced traffic ticket attorney will help you get your desired result. Attorney Bob Keefer has over 35 years of experience with clerks, judges, officers, and prosecutors.
Also, with many speed-related cases, it’s even possible to have only the lawyer show up so that you don’t have to.
Free, confidential consultation
If you were pulled over and charged with reckless driving or were issued a speeding ticket, you may have more chances at defense than you realize. That’s why you need representation from a highly trained, leading Virginia traffic ticket attorney. Let us build your defense so you have a fair chance at mitigating the consequences of the ticket.
Contact us to discuss your charges at (540) 433-6906.