Updated on August 12th, 2022 at 07:14 pm
In 2018 alone, Virginia issued almost 600,000 citations for speeding. The state has also seen a rise in the number of drivers who choose to fight their tickets rather than pay them.
If you have been pulled over for a speeding ticket in Virginia, you might be wondering if it is worth hiring an attorney to contest the violation. Although it is possible to simply pay a speeding ticket, there are several benefits to hiring a lawyer to fight for you. So, you can’t help but wonder, is it worth hiring a lawyer for a speeding ticket in Virginia?
Is It Worth Hiring a Lawyer for a Speeding Ticket in Virginia?
- Is It Worth Hiring a Lawyer for a Speeding Ticket in Virginia?
- Benefits of Hiring a VA Traffic Ticket Lawyer
- What happens if you don’t show up for traffic court in Virginia?
- Can I just pay my ticket and not go to court Virginia?
- Why Hire Traffic Ticket Attorney Bob Keefer for my Speeding Ticket?
Absolutely! Speeding tickets in Virginia can carry 6 negative points, 4 negative points or 3 negative points. You are also building your driving record which will be accessed by any officer stopping you in the future as well as prosecutors. You always want to keep your driving record as clean as possible because of the effects on insurance rates and future traffic charges.
Do I Need a Lawyer for a Speeding Ticket in Virginia?
Yes, you do. Virginia is one of, if not, the most aggressive states when it comes to strict traffic laws. You need to speak with experienced speeding ticket lawyer, Bob Keefer, to see if he can get the charge amended to a non-moving violation, reduced to a lesser offense, or even dismissed altogether.
You should always contact an experienced traffic attorney when you receive a Virginia speeding or traffic ticket. When you get convicted of a normal speeding ticket you create a record of violating the traffic code. When you get your next traffic offense ticket, the previous conviction will be used by the prosecution to block any reduction of charges, or to enhance the penalty.
Your insurance company might use your first traffic conviction to increase your insurance costs. According to statistics, insurance companies project people who receive convictions are more likely to cause claims.
See some of Attorney Keefer’s case results here.
Benefits of Hiring a VA Traffic Ticket Lawyer
Speeding offenses are serious traffic violations in Virginia. Only an experienced traffic ticket lawyer can help you to understand the severity of the charges and potential penalties you are facing. Professional Traffic Attorneys have extensive experience with plea deals and having the original charge reduced or dismissed altogether.
Reasons to Consider Hiring a Traffic Lawyer to Fight your VA Speeding Ticket:
Reckless Driving Charges
- According to Virginia law, if you are caught driving 20 mph or more over the posted speed limit, or driving over 85 mph, you could receive a reckless driving ticket. Reckless driving is a misdemeanor offense that is punishable by fines, jail time, and even a permanent criminal record. If convicted, you could face additional fines and demerit points on your record. An attorney can help you avoid a ticket conviction.
- After receiving a speeding ticket, many drivers assume they will automatically receive the maximum punishment. However, a judge has the discretion to reduce a reckless driving charge to a lesser violation or even reduce the penalties you face. Only an experienced lawyer can help convince the court to reduce your ticket based on various mitigating factors, including your clean driving record or defective equipment used to measure your speed.
Hiring a lawyer is affordable
- While many traffic ticket attorneys get paid by the hour, some will often charge a flat rate if the case only requires paperwork. Rates will depend on the complexity of your case, and the experience of an accomplished traffic lawyer.
Out of State Drivers
- Out of state drivers definitely need a competent traffic lawyer to help with Virginia traffic citations. Most traffic cases can be handled without requiring the presence of the accused. An experienced traffic law attorney who routinely goes to the relevant jurisdiction will advise you if you need to appear. Failing to show up ensures conviction. Most states will apply Virginia traffic convictions to the person’s driving record.
What are the Consequences of Failing to Hire a Traffic Attorney?
If you fail to hire a traffic lawyer, you run the risk of not knowing your legal rights to fight a ticket, as well as the severe consequences a conviction can bring. Most people without a Lawyer get convicted. A competent traffic lawyer will advise you on the probabilities of successfully having the charges reduced. Failing to hire legal representation is failure to try to get the best result possible.
How does Traffic Court work in Virginia?
Police officers are given one or more court dates in the General District Court in their jurisdiction. Drivers with traffic tickets receive notice to appear on a specific date, along with a time to appear.
The cases are called in order and experienced traffic lawyers go before the Court to represent their clients. Unrepresented offenders appear before the Court. The Prosecutor prosecutes the cases. The Officer and sometimes the charged person testify.
The Judge decides whether the driver is guilty or not guilty. For the guilty the Judge will impose a penalty. People who do not appear and do not have legal representation are typically convicted in their absence.
What happens if you don’t show up for traffic court in Virginia?
You need to ask your Lawyer if your attendance is required or helpful. Some Judges seem to favor appearances, while others do not. If your attendance is not required or helpful, and if you have a Lawyer covering the case you don’t need to appear. Without representation of counsel paired with failing to appear will result in a conviction.
Can I just pay my ticket and not go to court Virginia?
You should always contact an attorney with experience navigating Virginia traffic courts. If convicted of a regular speeding ticket, a record is created of you violating the traffic code. When you get your next ticket, the previous conviction will be used by the prosecution to block any reduction or to enhance the penalty. Your insurance company might use your first traffic conviction to increase your auto insurance costs.
Can I Afford a Virginia Speeding Ticket Lawyer?
You cannot afford to not at least contact a lawyer when confronted by a speeding charge. You may not understand which charges are misdemeanors and which charges are traffic infractions. Your lawyer may be able to get your charge amended to a non-moving violation or dismissed. You cannot afford to pay increased insurance premiums or to develop a reason for prosecutors to deny you relief on subsequent traffic charges.
If you are interested in the cost of a speeding ticket in Virginia.
Do the Benefits of Hiring a Virginia Traffic Lawyer Outweigh the Costs?
Typically, yes. If you contact a good lawyer, you can explore the relative costs. If the lawyer can get the charge amended to non-moving violation or dismissed, you benefit greatly. What you are worried about are the collateral consequences not the fine for the simple traffic ticket.
Why Hire Traffic Ticket Attorney Bob Keefer for my Speeding Ticket?
A Lawyer can tell you what the Judges in the Court where your ticket will be handled normally do with such tickets. A Lawyer can tell you how prosecutors in that court handle such offenses. A Lawyer can tell you how the specific officer normally handles such tickets. Knowing this information can help you decide how to proceed.
At Keefer Law Firm, our Harrisonburg traffic ticket attorney has more than 35 years of experience helping clients resolve their traffic violations. We can evaluate your case, determine your available legal options, and help you obtain the most favorable results. Do not hesitate to avoid serious punishments with the help of an experienced lawyer.